Higher Education and Adult Literacy
- Guaranteed tuition-free higher education at UDC for all accepted DC residents
- Student debt forgiveness for all DC residents
- Increased funding for the Tuition Assistance Grant (TAG) and other programs for assisting with funding higher education
- Establishing literacy programs to combat adult illiteracy
- Providing free access to classes in financial literacy and financial planning
In terms of higher education and adult education more broadly, I would fight for guaranteed tuition-free higher education at UDC for all accepted District-resident students. I would also propose granting stipends to students wishing to study in crucial areas where there is a shortage of graduates and/or a strong public benefit such as nursing and environmental engineering. To redress DC’s problem with functional illiteracy, I would launch a literacy campaign based those enacted in Cuba and Nicaragua following their revolutions.